Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Just Got Back Blues

Just got back home. Um, well, two hours ago. It's fucking 11 p.m.! Go to sleep, you moron! We travelled 12 goddamn hours, with four hours on a plane, which is never nice. And I'm exhausted in a way I didn't think was possible.

But nevertheless, great time was had by all, but I'll report back later, maybe with pictures. Now, only bad news:

1. A publisher turned down my crime novel.

2. I haven't as yet received all the entries for the thriller reference work and the goddamn latest fucking final deadline was today, on March 18!

3. I was told that I've got a cover illo for the Turku region crime short story anthology in the mail. But, well, no, I haven't got it. There's nothing of the sort in my mail. It should've been in the printers a week ago.

4. Do I sound like I've been on a holiday?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back, I guess.

Juri said...

Everything's much better now, thank you. Haven't just had time to post a follow-up post.

Peter Rozovsky said...

Sounds to me as if writers in your profession have no more respect for deadlines than do writers in mine. But at least with me, it's all over at the end of each night. I never have to take deadline worries home with me, much less on vacation.

Welcome back.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Juri said...

Well, you know, I was the editor-in-chief of the student paper here in Turku, Finland, some years back now, and I remember vividly when I was waiting for a big article and was pretty sure it would come on Wednesday when the mag would go to printers. It was assigned to a free-lancing guy who'd been writing for different mags for some ten years, so he was almost a veteran and therefore to be trusted in. But nothing had showed up during the night in my inbox. Nothing had showed up till ten. Nothing showed up till twelve. Then I phoned the guy. "What? An article? Oh shit, man, I forgot!" He sounded he was genuinely sorry, but that really doesn't help, does it?

We had four hours to patch up one tabloid-sized page. Luckily my girlfriend (now my wife) was around the office and she was able to come up with a decent article, and with my staff writer, Tero, we cooked up another. You can understand that I never again asked the guy who'd forgotten his promise for another article.

Peter Rozovsky said...

Writers, or, given their skill with English prose, "writers" at the Philadelphia ******er have no deadlines. Maybe that's because the editors-in-chief were all writers and not copy editors.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/