Thursday, November 13, 2014

Everybody Lies out

My newest book, the short story anthology Everybody Lies, is finally out. It's available here - and of course it's in Finnish and the actual title is Kaikki valehtelevat, which is the literal translation of James Reasoner's story in the book.

The book consists of some 20 criminous short stories from writers like Reasoner, Jason Starr, Kevin Wignall, Duane Swierczynski, Vicki Hendricks and Patricia Abbott. All of the stories came previously out in my mags Isku, Ässä and Seikkailukertomuksia (= Adventure Stories), that were self-published pastiches of old-time crime rags. All the translations have been edited and proofread carefully. It's a nice and varied collection of new hardboiled and noir writing, especially since almost none of these writers are available in Finnish at the moment. Most of the stories were translated by me, but some of them were translated by some of my talented friends, namely Antti Autio, Tapani Bagge, Sonja Lahdenranta and Lotta Sonninen. Thanks for them for the big help! 

The beautiful cover was envisioned by a friend of mine, Jenni Jokiniemi, who works as a designer. This was her first book cover, if I understood correctly. I hope to collaborate with her more in the future. 

Here's the table of contents. 

I'm actually doing another collection in the same vein, of the flash fiction stories I published in Ässä. I've been asking for permissions from writers, but not all have responded. If you read this and remember having received an e-mail or a Facebook message from, please do respond! 

7 comments:

Anders E said...

What a wonderful collection, but alas - only available in that lingustic peculiarity of yours. Juri, you're SUCH a tease.

(tongue firmly planted in cheek - now, where do I go for Finnish lessons?...)

jurinummelin said...

You should compile and edit such an anthology yourself! What if I send you the original stories (I think I might have all of them) and you'll ask for permission and start translating? :)

Jenni J. said...

The feeling is mutual, Juri! I hope to collaborate with you in the future as well. This was my first one of, hopefully, many book covers.

Charles Gramlich said...

Looks like a tremendous collection.

jurinummelin said...

Jenni: it's said and done! :)

pattinase (abbott) said...

What a great collection. Proud to be in there.

jurinummelin said...

And yours is a very good story, Patti! Great to have you there.