Monday, October 10, 2005

The film archive

Well, I'd remembered wrong. It wasn't Night of the Eagle. Instead it was Erwin Leiser's 1960 documentary of Hitler's rise to power, called Den blogida tiden/Bloody Times (don't know the exact English title). Very apt description of things, the early stuff was very interesting and I got an urge to read more about young Hitler. I would've liked to hear more about the industrialists' support to Hitler in the late twenties and early thirties.

Not as powerful as Alain Resnais's Le nuit et brouillard (which must be one of the best films ever), but lots of archive footage I'd never seen before.

When I walked home, I spotted a young guy, maybe 22 or so, standing in a window, maybe on a third floor, with no shirt on, smoking a cigarrette and spitting on the ground. From the ultimate terror of Auschwitz to banality of everyday life.

No comments: