Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hammett? Where's Hammett?

Dave's comments made me realize that I was altogether too tired to come up with a reasonable list. Where's the goddamn Hammett? Man, I just love Red Harvest, The Maltese Falcon and The Glass Key! It's been years since I read them, so couldn't really decide what would fit in, but my fondest memories are of Red Harvest. The Maltese Falcon is really exemplary as a movie and it slurs the reading experience a bit.

As for Rex Stout who seems to be getting quite a lot of nominations: I haven't read anything by him for at least 15 or 16 years - and then I was an adolescent.

Peter at Detectives Beyond Borders nominated Cosi Fan Tutti by Michael Dibdin. I've liked several Didbins I've read, but would have hard time to come up with a title.

And I'm pretty sure I'm just forgetting something recent... Scott Phillips's second novel (on whose title I'm drawing blank right now) could be labeled as a detective novel, so it could fit in.

No comments: