Friday, December 07, 2012

Friday's Forgotten Book: Clark Howard: Dirt Rich

I mention this book in my Pulpografia in the entry for Clark Howard, but I've actually never read it - until now. Dirt Rich (1986) is a long, sweeping epic on Texas, oil, fatherless sons, tyrant fathers, absent sisters, treacherous wives and hard-working men. The story starts from 1918 and ends just after World War II, and there are also some backflashes to the days of Wild West. Lots of things happen in the 800 pages of the book.

Clark Howard is an excellent short story writer and he also seems to be a good novelist. There's lots to admire in Dirt Rich, for example how Howard never really tells what a person looks like, but you still get the feel of how he/she acts, moves, reacts, dresses. The real history of a nation is somewhere in the background, but still effecting the acts of individuals.

I know the Friday's Forgotten Book meme is about Ray Bradbury this week, but I just happened to finish this late last night.

5 comments:

Jerry House said...

Clark Howard is one of those writers who seems to do everything well. DIRT RICH was a great read. I have read all but one of his novels and they are equally good. His short stories are superb, and his non-fiction books about crime are enthralling. Thanks for bringing some attention to a fantastic writer, Juri.

Juri said...

I'd certainly like to read his other novels. I think I have another one, possibly THE KILLINGS, but I don't know where it is...

RJR said...

I reviewed this for the Orlando Sentinel when it first came out. Great read!

RJR

Todd Mason said...

Oddly enough, I mislaid my copy of DIRT RICH when I was about a hundred pages in, and I need to find it again or buy another...it was pretty impressive up to that point!

Juri said...

Todd: I remember you mentioned you were reading DIRT RICH some years back.